Our Client is the world's largest, and one of the most technically advanced hedge funds in the world. They are located in Connecticut about an hour north of New York City. Thye offer free commutation in and out of New York City each day and may be able to offer relocation assistance as well. This is a 40 plus year old firm currently managing over $160B AUM and growing. Because of the exponential growth they have gone through the last few years they have been undertaking massive transformation initiatives as they move from a boutique to an institutional sized organization. This growth and transformation effort requires talent expansion and has opened up a number of positions cross the firm. Currently they are looking to fill the role of Portfolio Accountant in their Operations/Back Office Department. This department is responsible for, and is an integral part of the post-trade flow, managing and continually improving many of the Company s mission-critical investment processes, and has placed explicit focus on evolving their world-class investment and support infrastructure.
New associates have the opportunity to be an integral part of the evolution and transformation efforts in the department and participate in personal and professional growth with an industry leader. The department is responsible for processing trades, ensuring that portfolios are properly valued, measuring and monitoring market and counterparty exposures, and managing the information flow with the Investment Engine (Account Management and Trading) and Client Service groups. It is also primarily responsible for maintaining their proprietary portfolio accounting system. We also partner closely with the Investment Engine and Client Services groups to implement initiatives that both enhance existing capabilities and bring on new functionality, in support of the trade lifecycle and portfolio valuation, as well as the collateral management and reporting partnerships between external providers and internal processes. Due to the make-up of this current team they can bring on board a more junior person and train them up, or hire a more experienced candidate.
The ideal candidate will have fund administration experience at an asset manager, fund administrator in accounting or operations or has experience auditing funds. They should have a good understanding of operational and accounting concepts and general process flow. Candidates should also have exposure to vendor and/or counterparty interaction (preferably having worked in this capacity) and should be effective at managing relationships as they will be responsible for day to day oversight of outsourcers. Candidates must be comfortable navigating change and ambiguity (i.e. engaging on department goals, and working to evolve outsourcing model and controls, assessing risk). In addition to processing the daily business, the Portfolio Accounting Associate must be highly process-improvement orientated, should demonstrate the willingness and ability to challenge the status quo, to examine day-to-day operations critically, and to identify key issues, risks, and opportunities for improvement. This individual must be detail oriented and reliable as they will be responsible for overseeing the fund and account valuation process on a daily and monthly basis and delivering on client and CIO initiatives. Candidates must also have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, as they will play a key role in ensuring excellent relationships through senior management cross departmentally and with external vendors.
You will be responsible for:
- Monitoring external partners daily activities to ensure that all service level agreements, procedures, and KPI s are met including but not limited to:
- Daily review of NAV, PNL, performance, reconciliations, and client reports
- Engaging in design and implementation of metrics and management tools
- Ensuring that functional work (e.g. reconciliations of accounts, valuations and returns) is completed excellently, without error, and according to procedure
- Ensuring that account events are accurately reflected and processed; validate the accuracy of vendor output
- Partnering with various departments in the build out, testing, and evolution of new designs, processes, reporting, and controls
- Collaborating with management to identify opportunities for improvement and address issues, risks and inefficiencies
- Organizing and drive to completion anything from simple process enhancements to larger strategic initiatives
- Serving as a liaison with internal departments and external service providers to ensure quality communication and accurate trade processing; facilitate resolution of complex issues
- Ad hoc projects, and coverage as necessary
You will be a click for the role if you:
- Have outstanding decision-making capabilities, keen logic, and good judgment
- Are an independent thinker, able to operate independently on short- and long-term goals, possesses common sense and comfort working in a high volume, fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Have the ability to perceive risks and make quality decisions, often with incomplete information
- Are analytical and creative problem-solving skills demonstrated under pressure with tight deadlines
- Have strong communication skills, are able to synthesize thoughts in an effective manner and communicate well with people at various levels of the external and internal organization
- Are highly capable in commonly used software such as Excel, SharePoint, PowerPoint.
- Have a professional team-player mentality with a genuine interest in pursuing Bridgewater's common goal of excellence
- Bachelors degree, demonstrating a strong academic record from a competitive school
- 2-8 years of Accounting and/or Operations experience
- Prior experience in financial service i.e. investment banking, hedge fund administration, hedge fund, investment bank setting or consulting firm (Accounting or Operations specific consulting)
Please note our client is not offering sponsorship of any kind for this position.